Worcester St Johns CC Sunday club rides
These rides are organised every week and posted on the Facebook group page . When the club is organising an open event such as a road race, time-trial, hill-climb or cyclo-cross the club rides do NOT run as all members are expected to assist with major club events.
All rides start from outside the Premier Inn on New Road on the west side of the main Worcester Bridge. Please arrive a few minutes before the start time so you don’t keep everyone waiting.
8. 30 am on Sunday, regardless of weather. Premier Inn by the Cricket Ground, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ
The rides are typically 50/60 miles and last around 3 hours (average speed 17mph). Ride routes are posted on our Facebook group page in advance and are available to download as a GPS via the Worcester St Johns Cycling Club Garmin Connect site.
9.15 am Breakfast ride on Sunday Premier Inn by the Cricket Ground, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ usually about 30 miles ending with breakfast at The Mayfly Cafe, Cob House Country Park on the B4204 west of Worcester
9.30 am on Sunday regardless of weather. Premier Inn by the Cricket Ground, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ
- The average speed is about 15 mph over sometimes flat, sometimes hilly routes.
- There is always a café stop after 25-30 miles followed by a 20-25 mile ride home.
- This is a training ride for some and a social ride for others but you should be able to ride for 50 miles at 15 mph to participate. Everyone is welcome to come along and start the ride. Less fit riders will need to be prepared to take a short route home until they are able to do the whole ride. There will often be another rider prepared to guide you home.
- Ride destinations and routes are usually announced on our Facebook group page. If no specific ride has been organised those who arrive at the start will decide a route and destination on the day.
- In winter we expect riders to have full mudguards out of respect for riders behind them and the café’s seats we sit on.
- Riders should carry a spare inner tube or puncture repair kit and pump, money for the café, racing cape and a drink to keep hydrated.
- The riders travel in formation (two-abreast), singling out as necessary. Usually there will be an experienced rider who can help beginners to practise group riding skills in order to retain group formation. On longer hills the group may split up, but will regroup at the top.
- Please let someone on the ride know when you arrive if it is your first club run.
- The Sunday club ride is a non-competitive ride and all riders who join the ride should be familiar with the Club Group Riding Rules
Worcester St Johns CC Wednesday morning social club ride
9.30 am on Wednesday is the same as the 9.30 Sunday ride. Premier Inn by the Cricket Ground, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ
Worcester St Johns CC Saturday morning introductory/social rides
Saturday at 9.30am GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) or 8.30am BST (British Summer Time) Premier Inn by the Cricket Ground, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ
The Introductory / Social Rides are intended as an entry level ride for cyclists who would like to experience group riding. These rides are aimed at cyclists who wish to develop their group riding skills on shorter / medium length distances prior to potentially joining the longer Sunday club runs, or the faster mid-week chain-gang rides.
Our routes are generally between 30 to 40 miles but occasionally we will travel a little further to offer greater route choice. We always stop for refreshments and a chat mid way around our planned route.
Our average speed will vary, according to conditions, but is usually between 13 and 15 mph regardless of distance. Riding in a group is more efficient so if you can currently ride 25 to 30 miles solo at 12 to 14 mph average speed then you shouldn’t have a problem with the Introductory / Social Ride.
The rides will be held every Saturday (weather permitting) and event details and routes will be posted on the clubs Facebook group page.
Existing club members are welcome, and encouraged, to join in these rides and pass on their knowledge and experience of riding to newcomers.
If you are joining us on a ride we recommend the following:
• Road bike in good condition.
• (Full) Water bottles
• Food (banana, cereal bar etc.)
• Pump and spare inner tube
If you are interested in joining an Introductory Saturday Rides there is no need to let us know, just turn up on the day.
Full address for the meeting point is Premier Inn Worcester City Centre Hotel, County Ground, Worcestershire County Cricket Club, New Road, Worcester, WR2 4QQ and you can find the location on Google Maps
Worcester St Johns CC occasional additional social rides
Usually a Friday 9.30 am ride for 40 miles including a cafe stop organised via Facebook group page.
Also often there is a Wednesday ride where senior members meet at a local cafe organised by word of mouth.
* Please note: all riders who attend a Worcester St John’s club ride do so at their own risk.