The club archives include photographs, race results, club magazines, minutes of meetings and numerous other documents and memorabilia. All the archives have been digitised (2020) and a large amount is available via the links below. The hard copies will be handed to the Worcestershire County Archives in the near future. Some of the archives relate to non-club members who have family members in the club or other associations with the club.
Feel free to search this archive and download information for personal use. If you wish to use any item for commercial use please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. There is much that is not available via the links below. If you are looking for any additional material please email your query to email@example.com.
We also welcome contributions from past and current members, their families, friends and historians. We particularly welcome good quality photographs of members racing in WSJCC club colours. Please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MALVERNIAN CYCLOCROSS CLUB
Cyclocross had started to catch on in the early 1950’s following the first World Championship held in 1950 and Ray ‘Doc’ Kinsey, a senior member of Worcester St. John’s CC living in Malvern was keen to take part in this newly growing sport. He asked the WSJCC committee to affiliate to the recently formed British Cyclocross Association. They refused, saying there was not sufficient interest. Not to be defeated, Ray, David Sparrey, Bob Jones and Graham Hill, all members of WSJCC, got together and decided to form The Malvernian Cyclocross Club. This was the first and only pure cyclocross club in the UK. At the beginning all members also rode for WSJCC and after a year of bad feelings the two clubs affiliated. As time progressed more members joined purely to ride cyclocross, including numerous school boys and the Malvernian Club started promoting an annual race on the Old Hills, Callow End. Later they even promoted a race for the Worcestershire Cycling Association on behalf of WSJCC and more members took to cyclocross so eventually a good relationship was established. The Malvernian Club grew from strength to strength, even fielding a team of 27 riders in their 1956 event! The Malvernain Club became very popular throughout the Midlands, Wales and Bristol area always attracting a big field for it’s races. Winning the Midland League Championship ( Bob Jones, Tony Rodway & David Duffield) was probably the highlight of the Club, along with several individual successes.
The Malvernian Cyclocross Club came to an end in 1963 when founding members went off to do National Service, got married, went to college or joined The Gannet. It was the time to fold.
Photo’s and newspaper cuttings can be found here MALVERNIAN CYCLOCROSS CLUB
NORTH CLAINES WHEELERS
It is possible that this club was again set up by ex-members who had a disagreement with WSJCC. Fred Bushnell known as Bert lived in Cornmedow Lane Claines. Bert was secretary of the Nth Claines Wheelers and they held club evenings in the Guides Hut on the Recreation Grounds Claines. It appears that many cyclists from well outside the area joined in order to qualify to ride Worcestershire Cycling Association events. Mike Earp was it’s leading light as can be seen from event results in the 1950’s.